I don’t know about you, but I am so done with the school year and just ready for summer! 3 more days. The kids last day is this Friday. Woo hoo!
So what are you feeling right now? Excited and ready for the summer, or are you saying, “Oh crap! They’ll be home all day. The next couple of months are going to be long!”?
Well have no fear, I have some ideas so you can be a superstar this summer and totally rock it!
Disclaimer: I am not promising you a summer free from some long days, children fighting, complaints about chores, or them begging you to be social director. But I am going to help you channel your inner superstar!
- Wear sunscreen everyday! (Ha! Gotcha. You probably thought the list would start with some sort of awesome, inexpensive activity to do with your kids. We’ll get there). But seriously. You need to wear sunscreen. Everyday. 365 days a year. No matter if the sun is out or not. The skin is your largest organ, and melanoma is the deadliest cancer. And cancer does not discriminate, so make this part of your morning routine. Not only will your cells benefit, but so will your skin. You will look younger and more vibrant for longer if you make this a habit.
- Drink a lot of water. Read my post about hydration to know why.
- Dance everyday. Get your blood pumping and move your body by doing something fun. It puts a smile on your face, and can include your whole family. Crank up this tune, and make the house feel like summer! If you want some other great dance tune ideas, just ask me for a list!
- Set an intention for the summer. Mindset matters. Your words, thoughts and beliefs are what you bring into your life. If you believe summer will be long, then get good at counting. Because those minutes add up huge by the end of August. If you think this summer is going to rock, you will wish you could push back the first day school when it gets here.
- Make a summer bucket list with your kids. Throw everything on there because this is a bucket list, not a guaranteed activity calendar. Mark off things as you do them, put tally marks on the things you do more than once. At the end of the summer make some homemade ice cream, and go over all the fun stuff you did in 2 ½ short months.
- Use essential oils to boost your mood, take the edge off too much sun, repel bugs, flavor your water, and liven up your guacamole. If you want to know how to get started, ask me!
- Do something everyday to nurture your spirituality. Read, journal, meditate, call a friend, take an epsom salts bath. There are so many possibilities and with daily practice, you will free parts of yourself that you had no idea were hiding.
- Do not be a social coordinator. Kids are incredibly creative, smart, intuitive and have an immense inner wisdom. Let that blossom. Of course plan some fun things, but ave them create most of their own fun this summer.
- Send your kids outside as much as possible. Barefoot. It’s called Earthing, and has huge health benefits. The outdoors is awesome and imaginations can soar there. From dragon cloud shapes in the sky to the garden border where you walk the plank and plunge into the grassy ocean the ideas will bloom. And you can get time to sit back, relax and read another chapter of the book you are reading!
Pause for a minute and do three cleansing breaths. Inhale deeply through the nose, and exhale through the mouth. Loud enough that your neighbor can hear. Now that you are centered, what will your superstar summer look like?